Wednesday, September 11, 2013

12 Years Gone

As I was driving to work this morning, I was doing what I suppose a large majority of Americans were doing today.  Reflecting on 9/11/01.  Reflecting on the unfathomable idea that 12 years ago today, we lost 2 magnificent buildings, three planes, and thousands of lives.  A nation plunged into the depths of what it means to grieve and question together.  But, as thoughts are wont to do much of the time, they started to wander and I started thinking about me 12 years ago.  Twelve years ago:

1.  I didn't plan on having kids, ever.  Now I have 2 and I cannot imagine life without them.  Best decision I ever made.

2.  My father-in-law was alive and the cancer had not reared its ugly head yet.

3.  I had been married for 6 years.  Now, I am on the threshold of divorce, and ready to move on to the next chapter of my life.

4.  My husband and I were talking about adopting a puppy.  The puppy wasn't born yet.  He is a senior dog now.

5.  My husband and I were finally first time homeowners.  Since then, we have moved once.

6.  I weighed about 40 pounds less and had awesome metabolism.

7.  I had a year under my belt at my job and was desperately looking to leave.  I have now been there 13 years and I love my career.

8.  I was in graduate school for the 2nd time.  Now I'm lucky if I understand homework instructions for my 2nd grader.

9.  I had 1 best friend and was a huge introvert.  I now have 5 best friends (still including the 1 from 12 years ago) and a whole host of other friends and acquaintances that I love hanging out with. I am truly lucky to have all these amazing people in my life.

10.  I did not use Facebook, write a blog, have a smart phone, or a Kindle, or even a laptop.  I think we used WordStar software at work.  Anyone remember that????

The lesson here, of course, is how quickly things change as time marches on (cliche, I know, but very true).  I will leave you with this final thought.  I have a very vivid memory of me, sitting on the front porch of our recently acquired house, by myself at dusk, lighting a candle for those lost in the tragedy.  I had heard on the news that they wanted people all across the country to do this.  I don't know how many people participated, but I did.  I cried and I held the candle.  Live every moment, love every day, and always remember. 

2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of people DID light a candle. I remember seeing a picture taken from a satellite that looked really awesome, you could see the outline of the United States, and they really FELT united in that picture. It was one nice moment to come from that tragedy.

    ReplyDelete